Applications are open for £45,000 of support for new writing from the North of England
Now in their 21st year, the Northern Writers' Awards from New Writing North are given to support promising works in progress from Northern writers. The awards are for writers at all stages of their careers, and include mentoring, developmental support and cash to buy writing time. New Writing North also provides winners with tailored ongoing support.
This year's awards consist of:
• The Northern Writers' Awards: Cash awards of up to £5,000 to support writers of ficiton, narrative non-fiction, YA, graphic novels, short stories and poetry.
• The Hachette Children's Novel Award: £5,000 and publication for a debut children's writer with a full-length manuscript.
• The NorthBound Book Award: £5,000 and publication by Saraband for a new or emerging author of fiction or narrative non-fiction.
• The Channel 4 Writing for Television Awards: Development opportunities for two emerging writers for television.
• The Northern Debut Awards: £2,000 and structured developmental support for four writers of fiction, narrative non-fiction or young adult fiction who have yet to publish a full-length novel or collection. One place will be awarded to a debut female writer over 42 in memory of Angela Badenoch.
• The Northumbria University Student and Alumni Award: £2,000 for fiction or poetry by final year students and recent graduates of the University.
• The Sid Chaplin Award: £2,000 and developmental support for fiction and narrative non-fiction writers from a working-class background.
• TLC Free Reads Scheme: £500 and an in-depth editorial report from The Literary Consultancy for up to three poets or prose writers.
• The Arvon Award: An Arvon course for a prose writer.
• The Matthew Hale Award: £500 for a talented young writer who might otherwise lack opportunity to fulfil their writing promise.
• The Young Northern Writer Award: £200 for a young writer whose work shows exceptional promise.
The closing date to apply for a Northern Writers' Award from New Writing North is 6 February.
For full details see the website.
Register and sign up for our newsletter for late-breaking news, more competitions and exclusive content