Win a Lulu.com comprehensive publishing deal
Writing Magazine has teamed up with Lulu.com and Authoright to offer a complete publishing package, including marketing and PR, to one lucky reader.
We’re looking for a previously unpublished novel manuscript, in any genre, but which we feel has obvious mass appeal and deserves to reach a wider audience.
Lulu.com will publish the winning book in 2018, with cover design, marketing and PR support from Authoright.
The winning book will benefit from:
• copy edit
• cover design
• full interior layout and design
• set of proofs
• 10 author copies of the finished book
• marketing to trade and media
• distribution to the book trade for at least a year
How To Enter
To enter, submit the first chapter, or up to 2,000 words, a one-line teaser or strapline, a one-page synopsis and one-page marketing plan (in a single doc, docx, pdf or txt file).
Please note that although we are not asking for full manuscripts at this stage, your novel must be finished, and between 60,000-100,000 words.
The closing date is 31 January 2018.
Competition Closing Date
This competition is open for entries until 23:59 31 January 2018. Entries submitted after this date cannot be accepted.
£0 Entry Price (Free Rate)
Terms & Conditions
- Entry is free.
- The competition is open to all writers, published or not, but the work entered must not have been previously published in any form at any time.
- There is no obligation to purchase any Lulu.com, Authoright or Writing Magazine product to enter this competition.
- Your entry must include up to 2,000 words of your novel, a one-sentence teaser or strapline, one-page synopsis and one-page suggested marketing outline, in a single document. Your completed novel must be aimed at an adult audience, and 60,000-100,000 words long.
- The title does not count as part of the word count.
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- You must be 18 years or over to participate.
- By entering the competition you agree to be published if you are selected as a winner.
- Your title will be published as a standard format paperback black and white book.
- All entries must be typed and supplied electronically. No hand-written entries will be accepted.
- Your entry must be submitted electronically in a single doc, dox, txt or pdf file, with a cover sheet stating: your name, your address, your age, your e mail contact details, the title of your submission, the completed novel word count, your twitter handle (if relevant). We reserve the right to reject your entry if any of these details are missing or if your entry is submitted in the incorrect format.
- This prize is not transferable.
- Entries cannot be returned so please keep a copy.
- It is not possible to confirm receipt of entry by phone or email.
- We will only contact the winning entrant.
- If you are successful, in entering the competition you agree to Lulu.com’s publishing terms and conditions which can be viewed at www.lulu.com/about/legal
- Copies of the winning novel will be published and made available for sale by Lulu.com. Lulu.com pays up to 80% net royalties (net is the amount left after retailer discount) which is the highest in the industry. Visit http://www.lulu.com/distribution/sell.php as an illustration on how Lulu calculates royalty payments based on which retailer your book sells through.
- Entries will only be accepted, electronically, in txt, pdf, doc or docx format, through this page
- The closing date is midnight, 31 January 2018.
- The judges' decision is final. Judges are unable to comment on individual entries, judging is fair and unbiased and experienced readers assist in helping the judges select the winners.
- Copyright of each entry remains with the author but in entering the competition the author agrees that Lulu.com and Writing Magazine have the unrestricted right to publish the winning piece (including any shortlisted entries) in relevant promotional material in print or online.
- Submission of an entry implies the winners give agreement to be photographed and will take part in any marketing and publicity opportunities (print, social, or as otherwise required in the promotion of the event and the winning novel) connected with this competition carried out by Lulu.com and Writing Magazine
- Lulu.com will hold your contact address in our systems to contact you with regard to any future writing competitions we feel may be of interest to you, unless you opt out. If you do not wish us to contact you for future events and competitions please make this clear on your competition submission.
- Submission of your entry implies acceptance of these competition terms and conditions.
- Lulu.com upholds the Data Protection Act 1998.