Come along to the ultimate writing weekend away with professional writer James McCreet.
... Read More >>
Come along to the ultimate writing weekend away with professional writer James McCreet. Choose to attend a day session, or both, and learn new ways to improve your writing, develop your skills and feel encouraged to fulfil your writing goals!
DAY 1 SATURDAY 7 MARCH: THE ESSENTIALS OF NOVEL WRITING
- Where do ideas come from and how do you build on them?
- How do you turn an idea into a story?
- How do you turn a story into a plot and a structure that works?
- Narrative: the essential element of storytelling
- Hone your sentences
- Better dialogue
OR DAY 2 SUNDAY 8 MARCH: CRIME WRITING MASTERCLASS
- How is crime writing different?
- How to structure a crime novel
- The essential elements of crime writing (suspense, jeopardy, conflict, clues etc)
- Handling pace and managing reader expectations
- Characters : creating goodies and baddies
- How to shock and awe
Plus a chance to network with fellow writers!
James McCreet is a novelist, copywriter and creative writing lecturer who will be very familiar to Writing Magazine readers through his regular articles and as the insightful, incisive, pen behind Under the Microscope. He is the author of four Victorian crime novels, a guide for writers, Before You Write a Word, and most recently, a new contemporary novel, A Collar for Cerberus, under the nom de plume Matt Stanley. As a specialist in structure and technique, James is ideally placed to lead our afternoon session, on the component elements of a story, how to assemble them, and how to polish your final piece to perfection.
Saturday 7th or Sunday 8th March 2020
9.30am until 4.30pm
Park Plaza Hotel
Boar Lane, City Square
Early Bird One Day Ticket with a Writing Critique: £149 (see information below for critique requirements)
*Early Bird tickets are only available to book until 1 October 2019.*
Morning refreshments and snacks
Buffet lunch (If you have any dietary requirements, please email us)
Tea, coffee and snacks provided throughout the day
IMPORTANT Additional information
- After purchasing your day ticket, we will contact you via telephone or email for your chosen day.
- After the workshop, send up to 3,000 words of your writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org along with your ticket order confirmation email. Your critique will then be completed by James via email.
- Your event ticket will then arrive in the post within 5-10 working days
- Information about getting to the venue and parking can be found on the hotel website here
- There is disabled access and disabled toilets at the venue
*Limited spaces available so book fast*
If you can no longer make the event, a full refund will be given up to 14 days from purchasing your ticket. After this date, refunds will not be available.