Plot the perfect crime with our exclusive 32-page Crime Supplement (print only), plus a special interview with the author everyone is talking about right now, Taylor Jenkins-Reid, and more tips and tricks to help you improve your writing
On Sale: 04/04/2019
Why Not Subscribe?
Ensure you never miss an issue of your favourite magazine by taking out a great value subscription.
What's in this Issue?
Inside the May issue of Writing Magazine:
Your FREE Crime supplement (PRINT ONLY) : Learn how you can make your mark on the world’s highest selling genre with our crime writing special.
- You’ll learn the basics of crime writing – a thorough and practical explanation of all the tricks and techniques in the crime writer’s toolkit.
- Plus, get your facts right and your story straight with mythbusting insight direct from the experts:
• What’s police life really like? What’s the daily routine?
• How do crime scene forensics really work? Can you just DNA swab everything?
• The law and procedures for arrest, and rights of detained suspects
• What really happens in court?
• Crime gangs – the structure, hierarchy and logistics of being in a gang
• Prison life – daily routines for inmates, their rights, the tricks they try... and how they are prevented.
Rounding this off is a special interview with Writing Magazine’s own crimewriting police officer, Behind the Tape writer Lisa Cutts on her novels, and how her daily working life feeds into them.
Plus inside the magazine:
- Star interview: Taylor Jenkins-Reid on how she wrote the most hotly-tipped novel of the year, and the unusual experience of having a TV adaptation commissioned and set for broadcast before the book is even out
• How to write for magazines
• Get away, at home! Why you need a writer’s shed
• Tying up loose ends – how to finish your novel
• How to know it’s time to move on from a failing project, and making the break
• Writing for children – Generating strong ideas to give your story a ‘hook’ for agents, editors and readers
And all the usual leads, competitions, opportunities and industry news in Writers’ News.