26 March 2021
The competitions this year include the Writing Magazine and Writers’ Weekend Short Fiction Award
The Writers’ Weekend, which will be held virtually between 24 and 27 June, is inviting entries for their creative writing competitions, which this year include the Writing Magazine and Writers’ Weekend Short Fiction Award.
• The Writers’ Weekend Flash Fiction Competition: Submit 300-word fiction. The prizes are £300, £200 and £100. The judge is Claire Fuller. The entry fee is £10 for one, £8 for a second entry and £6 for a third.
• The Writers’ Weekend Writing for Children Competition: For writer’s of children’s, middle grade and YA fiction. Submit the first 3,000 words of a work of fiction for a chapter book for ages 8+, 8-12 or 12+, and a one-page synopsis. The prizes are £300, £200 and £100. Entry is £10.
• The Writing Magazine and Writers’ Weekend Short Story Competition: For short stories between 1,500 and 3,000 words. The first prize is £250, publication in Writing Magazine and a year’s subscription to Writing Magazine. The entry fee is £10, and £8 for WM subscribers. The closing date for this competition is 4 June.
• The Little Tiger Picture Book Competition. Enter picture booktexts no longer than 600 words for children aged 3-6. The first prize is £200 and a consultation with Little Tiger Press editorial. The second and third prizes are editorial feedback and book tokens. The entry fee is £10.
• The Arvon Opening of a Novel Competition: Enter the first three pages of a novel (upper YA to adult) plus a synopsis. The first prize is a place on an Arvon at Home online Writing Week. The second prize is a place on a Arvon at Home online Masterclass and the third prize is a place on an Arvon at Home Craft of Writing Session. The entry fee is £10.
• Play to the Crowd and Playmakers Young Writers’ Competition: Free competition for writers aged 4-11 and 12-16. Send a page of prose or a poem up to 30 lines on the theme ‘The adventure I dream of’. The prizes are book tokens and writing workshops.
The closing date for all the Writers’ Weekend Competitions is 28 May, except for the Writing Magazine Short Story Competition, which is 4 June.
For full details see the website.