02 January 2013
Bring Up the Bodies, which won last year's Man Booker Prize, was last night awarded the Costa prize for the best novel published in 2012 ...
Bring Up the Bodies, which won last year's Man Booker Prize, was last night awarded the Costa prize for the best novel published in 2012
It will now go forward, with the other four Costa category winners, as a contender for the overall Costa Book of the Year Award. Each category winner receives £5,000. The £30,00 prize will be awarded on 28 January.
The category winners are:
• Costa Novel Award: Bring Up the Bodies, Hilary Mantel (Fourth Estate)
• Costa Biography Award: Dotter of her Father's Eyes, Mary and Bryan Talbot (Jonathan Cape)
This is the first time a graphic novel has won a Costa Award.
• Costa First Novel Award: The Innocents, Francesca Segal (Chatto & Windus)
• Costa Poetry Award: The Overhaul, Katherine Jamie (Picador)
• Costa Children's Book Award: Maggot Moon, Sally Gardner (Hot Key Books)
The winner of the inaugural Costa Short Story Award will be announced at the same ceremony.
Register and sign up for our newsletter for late-breaking news, more competitions and exclusive content